Monday, January 20, 2014

#15 - Build a Rube Goldberg Machine

I am so excited to share that this past Saturday with the help of my sweet friend Melissa, I can officially check off #15 of my 23 by 24!

Melissa is a first year teacher -working with a pretty sweet technology grant- teaching students K-8 some of the coolest things I've ever heard of. She is helping them learn to code their own games, design apps for smart phones, and plant hydroponic gardens! (And that's just a small sampling of amazing things she's doing.) 

She is also having a "build-your-own-Rube-Goldberg-Machine" event with 60 students - and I got to be her guinea pig of sorts. 

She came over very well prepared... with a bunch of miscellaneous objects...
And we got right to sketching up our plans & ideas with Crayola markers...
(The only way to plan for something this spectacular, really.)

A surprising amount of it developed pretty organically:

Dave was able to help a little bit, too!

And we had what I would consider a great success:
(Make the video full screen so you can see all the action!)
 
Of course there were some goof-ups:
  
But in the end we made an awesome machine:
 
(sound effects courtesy of iMovie which were randomly placed & ended up sounding kind of cool.)

Here's to 22 more things to accomplish!

Cheers,
-N

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Being able to connect with my readers literally makes my day! I read and reply to all the comments via email if you have it enabled or directly to the comment back on my blog ツ