Tuesday, April 15, 2014

#13 - Write my sponsored children monthly

For some reason I had this idea that each letter needed to be some deep, awe-inspiring piece of writing. So, instead of communicating with our girls frequently, I would put off writing letters for weeks and months at a time in order to come up with some brilliant writing. 

This is not how it needs to be. 

Compassion shared a blog post a while back that inspired me to get started. (And God's timing was perfect - as always - because it was just a few days before I planned to write January's letters!)
It gave a set of sample letters that were rather basic and direct - this was really helpful to me.

After reading their post, I sat down, wrote a short letter, & made some paper snowflakes to send along with the letter (since I wrote about how much in snowed this winter.) It felt great to get in touch with them on a more basic level, and share a small craft that I always loved making!
-----
http://www.compassion.com/
-----

Update: I also found it helpful to set aside a specific slot of time to write our girls. For example, you and your family can gather together every second Sunday after church, every first Wednesday after your favorite t.v. show, etc.

Having a plan and a schedule, even for short letter writing, has been so helpful for us actually sitting down and getting it done. It's amazing how even things that I value can just fall by the wayside because I haven't set them into my schedule appropriately.

Never underestimate a good schedule, people!

(Although this is an ongoing project, here's to 21 more things to accomplish!)
-N

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Being able to connect with my readers literally makes my day! I read and reply to all the comments via email if you have it enabled or directly to the comment back on my blog ツ