Sunday, June 10, 2012

Cleaning Tips and Tricks


Cleaning, regardless of how bothersome,  is a necessary evil. Today I wanted to share a few tricks that can help make the challenge a little more tolerable. If you happen to be someone who loves cleaning, then please message me and we can chat, ;) - but, if you're like most people I know, it's just another tedious task. 

(Tip #1) One of my least favorite parts about cleaning is dusting. a) Because I am HIGHLY allergic to dust and b) because I have to move everything from it's place and then put it all back again... I've tried various "Swiffer" type dusters, but nothing seemed to trap the dust well and I usually ended up having a sneezing attack. Instead, I've ditched the expensive cleaning supplies and have been utilizing lonely socks.
Wear it like a sock puppet, and get cleaning!
What makes this trick really great is that it's free, it fits into places as small as your pinky finger, it holds dust better than anything I've ever tried or seen, and it's reusable - just throw it in the wash when you're done!

_______________________________________________________________________________

(Tip #2) Another not-so-favorite cleaning task of mine is washing dishes. Now, if you're lucky enough to have a dishwasher, be very appreciative. Unfortunately, not all of us have been blessed with such high-tech machinery. One thing I always struggled with was scrubbing away coffee or tea stains from my mugs since they are a very pale beige. However, I quickly discovered the beauty of lemon juice and how great it is at doing the scrubbing for me. If you find coffee rings or discoloration on your ceramics, simply fill it half way with warm/hot water, put 3-5 drops of 100% lemon juice in, and fill it the rest of the way with warm/hot water. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes (no harm it letting it sit longer though), and wash it normally. 

______________________________________________________________________________

(Tip #3) Vacuuming, by far, was my least favorite thing to do, ever. I would have opted to pull out my own eye lashes before I'd want to get up and vacuum the house. It used to take forever, hurt my back, and usually just result in the dirt or crumbs being moved around and not so much being sucked up. I've always dreamed of having a Dyson vacuum though, because they work like magic, and are really nifty and actually fun to use. Problem was, they started around $400 and that was way out of our budget. That was until my husband introduced me to Woot! This website (also available as an app) offers a couple of items per day at a highly discounted rate. I patiently waited and lo and behold they were selling a Dyson at half price! Needless to say, I jumped at the deal and am now a happy "Stepford-esque" vacuumer!

Woot! often sells Dyson vacuums like this and some other models, 
so be on the look-out!



                                                             Happy Cleaning! -N






With the right tools, what used to be my least favorite thing to do, has easily become my favorite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Being able to connect with my readers literally makes my day! I read and reply to all the comments via email if you have it enabled or directly to the comment back on my blog ツ