Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Are You An Organ Donor?

 This is quite a serious topic (compared to my usual posts about running & taking photos of flowers) but it's also a very important one and I really want to hear what you have to say about it.
via
I recently signed up to be an organ donor and I am so glad I did. 
I am a little ashamed it has taken me so long, but Dave has some strong feelings about this topic, and I really wanted to respect his thoughts and not really push it.
 
Ever since I got my permit I thought I'd sign-up, but for some reason, I hadn't.
Last year, a great friend of ours even ran across the country to raise awareness and support for organ donating. (His brother is alive and well because of an organ donor!)
I supported him and his incredible adventure wholeheartedly, but I still hadn't signed up...

Then, I was introduced to the blog Chasing Rainbows (which, if you haven't heard of this woman and her story, you should really catch-up), and I kept thinking more and more about finally getting my name on the list. It was a no-brainer for me, but as I mentioned Dave had some thoughts about it.

He is very science-minded, (and he's also a bit of a statistician) so although he loves and respects the idea of being an organ donor, there are a few things that have kept him from signing up. First, the fact that some doctors won't necessarily try their hardest to resuscitate you, if you're listed as an organ donor.  (As morbid as this sounds, he found some information to back it up).
Secondly, there are very special circumstances where an organ is still usable for donation. (Mainly the large ones like the lungs, heart, liver, etc.)

But then there's me, and my less science-minded self, who thinks 'if you're going to be dead, at least give them a chance of using your organs' & 'if a doctor let me die to use my organs, than that's just what was supposed to happen, and at least someone will benefit from it.' 
(I know I'm being a bit blunt here, but that's what it really comes down to.)
via
Thankfully, (since I'm clearly still living), it doesn't matter that I waited, but at some point it will be too late, so I highly encourage you to talk with your loved ones as soon as you can and really figure out if it is the right choice for you. 

I'd like to think it's the right choice for everyone.
-N


P.S. If you're ready to sign up, click either of the two images and get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Being able to connect with my readers literally makes my day! I read and reply to all the comments via email if you have it enabled or directly to the comment back on my blog ツ