Saturday, July 13, 2013

Mars Hills 2013

Dear friends, this coming week Dave and I will be spending our time in Mars Hill, NC!
We will be working alongside nearly 50 other people (from our church, a nearby church, & a church from Maryland), and serving the wonderful folks down there.

I don't know too much about it yet, but from what I've read and heard, there are many places within the Appalachian region (spanning several states of course) that are more impoverished than you'd think. Many families live in make-shift trailer homes & structures that are considered "substandard", there is also a great need for educational revitalization. Part of the mission too, is to raise basic awareness that areas such as these exist in the states, and we can make a difference.
Kentucky and part of West Virginia are some of the most affected areas, but as you can see there is still much needs throughout the region.

All that to say, we'll mainly be helping with construction tasks such as roofing homes to protect from the elements, building ramps for accessibility, and whatever else may be needed.

Our theme this year is "I Lift Up My Eyes to the Hills" based on Psalm 121, which reads:
"I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come?My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber.Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade on your right hand.The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night.The Lord will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life.The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore." ESV

This is such a great reminder and summary of the love of God and how He cares for us.
He never ignores our needs, or turns us away, or let's evil harm us.
(All people, including Christians, experience trying times but know they are not wasted by God!)
This is a helpful verse for us, and for the people in NC who may experience trials more frequently and in many different forms than we might be used to. 

There's also a great song by Casting Crowns that references this verse and really encourages those going through rough times in life. (The reference to Psalm 121 appears at 3:05)

We are very excited about this short-term mission opportunity and would welcome your prayers for our safety, strength, & the ability to love and serve well.
I'll definitely have more to share when we return but while I'm away I have some great posts scheduled that include a guest poster, and new project I'm working on!

Thank you all so much for keeping our team in your thoughts and prayers! 
-N

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like such an amazing opportunity! We will be praying for your team. As you are there right now, I am praying for safety, wisdom, a renewed sense of strength for your team and those you are with, an extra dose of hydration, AND unity with the holy spirit and the team!

    I'm so excited to hear about the trip when you return!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Being able to connect with my readers literally makes my day! I read and reply to all the comments via email if you have it enabled or directly to the comment back on my blog ツ