Saturday, May 4, 2013

May Challenge - Day 4

Favorite quote (from a person, from a book, etc.) and why you love it.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself..." Matthew 6:34

I spent a large amount of my younger years worrying.
Part of it, I think, is genetic, but most of it, I know, is a choice.


Growing up with a single-mom was great fun - but it also caused me to be anxious.
What if something happened to my mom?
What would I do without her? How would I go on?
I used to worry myself sick, literally.

The earliest memories I have of this were probably when I was two or three and I would scream, cry, kick, vomit, anything, just to make her stay home from an event. (And being the super-hero single mom that she was, she didn't go out or leave me home often.)

I had a very vivid and morbid imagination and all I could do was worry about her.

Then, one day, I don't know when exactly, I realized that worrying is pointless.
Of course, these thoughts and feelings would still bubble up, but once I was aware of them, I tried to put them in the back of my mind or just distract myself. This worked, to an extent.

Then, when I gave my life to Christ a little over four years ago I found out what it really meant to be at peace. As I mentioned a couple days ago, I have always had faith, but it was then that I really knew that God had a plan and whatever was supposed to be, would be.

This verse is such a great reminder to me that God is in control and my worrying isn't going to do anything, so why bother? Instead I now spend my time and energy being productive and focusing on the things that are I can control like the choices I make and the way I treat people.

What's your favorite?
-N

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful picture of you and your mom! I love your choice of quotes, but agree that sometimes it is so hard not to worry. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Being able to connect with my readers literally makes my day! I read and reply to all the comments via email if you have it enabled or directly to the comment back on my blog ツ